Forum

Welcome to our general Forum page.  Please feel free to post a comment on any issue or topic area. If you upload a picture, it will be available for you to insert here with your post. IF YOU WANT HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE PROVIDE A FULL POSTCODE OR GRID REFERENCE AND DATE of the record so that it can be added to the recording scheme. You will need to register and be logged-on to post to the forum. Find out more

Tue 31st January 2012 22:32 by Elizabeth Kay
Segestria florentina hiding in sleeve
The spider was actually captured and put in a jam jar so I was able to measure her length, excluding appendages, which came out at bang on the 22mms given in Dick Jones' book, which I have. Surely this means she's an adult?
link
Tue 31st January 2012 11:59 by Peter Harvey
Location of Segestria florentina
Thanks very much for the information. Segestria florentina is often found in walls or in cracks on the outside of buildings but quite a few records are from indoors. The adult season charts are for adults, and your spider is not necessarily adult (and it is difficult to tell anyway in Segestria except for adult males), so the occurrence of the spider indoors probably can't be read as too significant - the unseasonably warm weather would probably make it more likely to stay outdoors I suppose, rather than move indoors.
link
Tue 31st January 2012 11:48 by Elizabeth Kay
Location of Segestria florentina
The segestria was hiding in the sleeve of a Beaver uniform, indoors, at postcode KT3 4DS. The bite happened at 10 am on Tuesday, 24th January 2012. I note from the map that you have no previously recorded incidences of this spider during January - do we attribute this to the inseasonably warm weather?
link
Tue 31st January 2012 08:19 by Peter Harvey
Is this Segestria florentina?
This certainly looks like Segestria florentina and there is a hint of metallic green on the jaws, typically found in this species of Segestria. Can you provide a postcode or map grid reference, date and the situation in which the spider was found, so that we can add your record to the recording scheme.
link
Mon 30th January 2012 21:53 by Elizabeth Kay
Is this Segestria florentina?
Can anyone confirm that the spider that bit my boss was Segestria florentina? Is this Segestria florentina Copyright: Elizabeth Kay

Elizabeth

link
Mon 23rd January 2012 16:14 by Richard Wilson
Re: Unidentified jumping spider - Heliophanus sp?
Robert

The species looks like Hasarius adansoni to me.  I've recorded this species in Leeds (Tropical World) and it is a species that is recorded/ observed in hot-houses and other artificial heated environments worldwide.

Richard

link
Mon 23rd January 2012 09:47 by Andrea Griffiths
Steatoda grossa
Thanks Peter.  I've sent my postcode via separate message. 

I've never seen one of these spiders before and to be honest would have preferred not to have had one in my kitchen :)

Kind regards Andrea

link
Sun 22nd January 2012 14:38 by Peter Harvey
Steatoda grossa
Yes, this looks like Steatoda grossa, probably a juvenile (which tend to have the same kind of pattern as adult males). I'd appreciate a postcode or map grid reference so that your record can be added to the recording scheme (contact us). There do not appear to be many records for Pembrokeshire
link
Sat 21st January 2012 12:52 by Andrea Griffiths
Is this a steatoda grossa?
Hi, I found this spider when I was cleaning out my kitchen storage cupboard.  I think it may be a false widow spider, steatoda grossa?  I was wondering how common they are in Pembrokeshire?

Steatoda grossa Copyright: Andrea Griffiths

Thanks

link
Fri 20th January 2012 19:56 by Peter Harvey
Certainly not British. Looks to me at least superficially most like an Evarcha species, but it would almost certainly need an actual specimen under a microscope to identify - presumably this could originate from more or less any part of the World. You could try the salticid expert Dmitri Logunov Dmitri.V.LogunovATmanchester.ac.uk (@ replaced by 'AT')
link
Thu 19th January 2012 21:19 by Robert Mill
Unidentified jumping spider - Heliophanus sp?
Are these photos of Heliophanus kochii? They seem to match photos of that species on the web but the species appears not to be recorded from Britain. They do not match pictures of the common British Heliophanus species, H. cupreus. All were taken in the glasshouses of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (NT2475) where our staff say they appear to be very abundant. The individual photographed here was on leaves of begonias.

Unidentified jumping spider 1 Copyright: Lynsey Wilson

Unidentified jumping spider 2 Copyright: Lynsey Wilson

Unidentified jumping spider 3 Copyright: Lynsey Wilson

[picture:Unidentified jumping spider 4]]

Unidentified jumping spider 5 Copyright: Lynsey Wilson

Unidentified jumping spider 6 Copyright: Lynsey Wilson

Thanks for any help you can give me

Robert Mill
link
Mon 9th January 2012 14:52 by Peter Harvey
There don't seem to be many records in Oxfordshire - can you email me your postcode so that we can add the record to the recording scheme?
link
Mon 9th January 2012 12:40 by Roland Sookias
Thanks. It was found inside my living room in northern Oxfordshire (Charlbury).
link
Sun 8th January 2012 22:05 by Peter Harvey
Almost certainly a juvenile Salticus scenicus (juveniles variable in scales and pattern). You don't say where you found the spider, but S. cingulatus would only occur in semi natural habitats on tree trunks or old fence palings or similar and would not be confirmable unless adult and examined under a microscope - adults of Salticus species are generally early summer spiders, May/June peak. May be earlier this year if we don't get any hard frosts and snow - some plants have been in flower extraordinarily early.
link
Sun 8th January 2012 20:08 by Roland Sookias
Salticus ?cingulatus
Dear all

Saw this salticid today. I think it's Salticus cingulatus as it doesn't have the strong abdominal markings of S. scenicus and it resembles this photograph link. What do you think? I attach one of the better photos I got.

Best

Roland

link
Fri 6th January 2012 17:05 by Richard Wilson
Request for Information on B. duffeyi & A. fulvolineata
All

I am undertaking a research project investigating the ecology of two saltmarsh and UK BAP spiders, Baryphyma duffeyi and Arctosa fulvolineata.  If readers could e-mail me (Richard.Wilson_ecology@yahoo.co.uk) with any information based on personal experience of these species or make me aware of grey or scientific literature that deals with their ecology or distribution (UK or European), I would be most grateful. 

Please note however, that I would need this information to be available in sufficient time for me to include it in the report which has a deadline of early February 2012.

Many thanks in anticipation

Richard Wilson (AO for Yorkshire)

link

Archives: Mar 2017 Feb 2017 Dec 2016 Oct 2016 Sep 2016 Aug 2016 Jul 2016 Jun 2016 May 2016 Apr 2016 Mar 2016 Feb 2016 Jan 2016 Dec 2015 Nov 2015 Oct 2015 Sep 2015 Aug 2015 Jul 2015 Jun 2015 May 2015 Apr 2015 Mar 2015 Feb 2015 Dec 2014 Nov 2014 Oct 2014 Sep 2014 Aug 2014 Jul 2014 Jun 2014 May 2014 Apr 2014 Mar 2014 Feb 2014 Jan 2014 Dec 2013 Nov 2013 Oct 2013 Sep 2013 Aug 2013 Jul 2013 Jun 2013 May 2013 Apr 2013 Feb 2013 Jan 2013 Dec 2012 Nov 2012 Oct 2012 Sep 2012 Aug 2012 Jul 2012 Jun 2012 May 2012 Feb 2012 Jan 2012 Dec 2011 Nov 2011 Oct 2011 Aug 2011 May 2011 Mar 2011 Dec 2010 Nov 2010 Sep 2010 latest posts