Forum

Welcome to our general Forum page.  Please feel free to post a comment on any issue or topic area. If you upload a picture, it will be available for you to insert here with your post. IF YOU WANT HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE PROVIDE A FULL POSTCODE OR GRID REFERENCE AND DATE of the record so that it can be added to the recording scheme. You will need to register and be logged-on to post to the forum. Find out more

Thu 31st January 2013 23:18 by Colin Darcy
i identified the spider from this sites species index,the picture of the female was almost identical to the spider found living in a cavity between a stair wall and the adjacent flat.A 80mm cavity approx 30m2,semi rural area of central newcastle upon tyne. farm and stables close to location
link
Thu 31st January 2013 18:55 by Peter Harvey
How have you identified the spider? There are a number of species which resemble Coelotes. What was the habitat? - where was the brick wall?
link
Thu 31st January 2013 18:15 by Colin Darcy
coelotes atropos
i found a coelotes atropos while taking down a brick wall in central newcastle ne1.roughly 28mm long female, sadly no pics.is this spider becoming more prevailent in the north east ?
link
Mon 28th January 2013 09:30 by Peter Harvey
We only have one modern record of Boreus hyemalis in Essex, from a small Sphagnum bog area in Epping Forest in winter.

Yes, I agree your Pardosa is in the agrestis group, and monticola on very old or unimproved grassland is a good possibility. It will not be mature at this time of year, but this is a difficult group even with adults under a microscope and good lighting!

Pardosa palustris is the only member of this group which is straightforward to identify (as an adult under a microscope). There is a lot of variation in epigynes and palps and reliance only on the figures of these is fraught with danger, and misidentification is not unusual. Locket & Millidge British Spiders is an essential aid. Voucher specimens of adults are absolutely essential for this group and anything at all unusual, improbable or unusual habitat etc should be checked by an experienced arachnologist. Even the most experienced arachnologist can have difficulties with some specimens.

link
Mon 28th January 2013 07:40 by Ian Andrews
I was actually out photographing Snow Fleas (Boreus hyemalis), but kept finding spiders, diptera and others to distract me! I've never given spiders a second thought, but the microscope is always set up and ready for flies, so spiders might be the next step for me...

Thanks for your help.

Ian

link
Sun 27th January 2013 22:19 by Evan Jones
Snow Spiders!
If I was forced to place a bet I would go for Stemonyphantes but that is just a bet!

Pardosa it is. A stripey one like monticola but Peter could probably make a much better guess as he knows them very well. However he may pass on a guess!

Why are you hunting spiders in the snow? It is never recommended in spider books!

link
Sun 27th January 2013 16:38 by Ian Andrews
Stemonyphantes
Thanks to you both for your help. I am only safe to call it Linyphiidae, then, from the sound of it!

Just to help me get a rough idea of what I am looking at, can you confirm that this is a Pardosa for me...another one from snow, on open heath, today.

Pardosa species Copyright: Ian Andrews

Pardosa Copyright: Ian Andrews

Many thanks

Ian

link
Sun 27th January 2013 10:22 by Evan Jones
Snow
I was only joking about the habitat!.....And of course Peter is absolutely correct the only definite ID is microscopical check of epigyne and palps.
link
Sun 27th January 2013 09:53 by Peter Harvey
I would not be too sure this is Stemonyphantes. It could be a Bolyphantes. Needless to say it is not possible to be certain without an adult and in this case microscopical examination. Be aware that there is often variation in markings and pattern detail, not only between males and females but also between individuals and at various stages of maturity. This is not shown in figures in books, which can give a misleading impression. This is one reason that microscopical examination of adults is necessary for reliable identification of a large majority of spiders.
link
Sat 26th January 2013 21:44 by Ian Andrews
Stemonyphantes
Thanks for your confirmation. I assume you mean the snow as the wrong habitat (!)...beneath the snow is open, heathy, rabbit-grazed grass with rabbit holes, which is okay as a habitat, isn't it?

Thanks for your help...just thinking about looking closer at spiders, so may post more as the year warms up.

Ian

link
Sat 26th January 2013 21:28 by Evan Jones
Is This Stemonyphantes?
Certainly looks like it although the habitat is all wrong!
link
Sat 26th January 2013 20:11 by Ian Andrews
Is this Stemonyphantes lineatus?
This spider was on the snow at a Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserve this morning. Around 10mm with legs, at a guess. Is it Stemonyphantes lineatus, which it resembles a picture of in the Collins Spider guide?

Thanks for any help.

Possible Stemonyphantes lineatus Copyright: Ian Andrews

Ian

link
Tue 15th January 2013 07:15 by Peter Harvey
No, this is not Steatoda nobilis, and I am not even sure from the photographs it is a Steatoda species. You are welcome to send the spider to me (email contact us for details)
link
Tue 15th January 2013 03:29 by James Turner
Is this a steatoda nobilis?
Hi there.

I think i may have found a steatoda nobilis near garstang in preston. I looks very much like all the pictures on google images, so i thought it may be one. however on this website, there seem to be none of these spiders above the midlands, and i am obviously up north! I only have two pictures of the spider, but would love it if somebody could identify it for me. thank you! Maybe a steatoda nobilis 2 Copyright: James Turner Maybe a steatoda nobilis Copyright: James Turner

link
Sat 5th January 2013 18:36 by Peter Harvey
I think Arctosa leopardus is a spider of seasonally wet habitats, which are usually restricted to small parts of an overall area. There is only one site I have ever found it in very large numbers, West Thurrock Marshes, in areas of saline seasonally (usually winter) wet habitat.
link
Sat 5th January 2013 16:03 by Evan Jones
Arctosa leopardus
Nice pictures, Peter, of this prettily marked spider. Arctosa leopardus is for me quite an enigmatic species and only ever find them in ones or twos. I have found them saltmarsh strandline debris and in dune slacks in West Wales. Most recently I found one on an East Sussex heath in a damp mossy area. I wonder if this species constructs a tube like other Arctosa species. That might explain why they do not jump out (at me at least) in Pardosa-like numbers.
link
Sat 5th January 2013 14:15 by Peter Harvey
Looked alright to me Evan, as far as one can tell from photographs. I certainly didn't think your's was amentata, but your image did spur me to look out some Pardosa photos I might have to extend the coverage of species (confirmed by microscopical examination of adults of course!)
link
Fri 4th January 2013 22:02 by Evan Jones
Pardosa wot
That agricola I just posted looks very like the amentata you just posted Peter. Ill remove it and double check my pictures!  I recorded both species from the location!
link

Archives: Feb 2017 Dec 2016 Oct 2016 Sep 2016 Aug 2016 Jul 2016 Jun 2016 May 2016 Apr 2016 Mar 2016 Feb 2016 Jan 2016 Dec 2015 Nov 2015 Oct 2015 Sep 2015 Aug 2015 Jul 2015 Jun 2015 May 2015 Apr 2015 Mar 2015 Feb 2015 Dec 2014 Nov 2014 Oct 2014 Sep 2014 Aug 2014 Jul 2014 Jun 2014 May 2014 Apr 2014 Mar 2014 Feb 2014 Jan 2014 Dec 2013 Nov 2013 Oct 2013 Sep 2013 Aug 2013 Jul 2013 Jun 2013 May 2013 Apr 2013 Feb 2013 Jan 2013 Dec 2012 Nov 2012 Oct 2012 Sep 2012 Aug 2012 Jul 2012 Jun 2012 May 2012 Feb 2012 Jan 2012 Dec 2011 Nov 2011 Oct 2011 Aug 2011 May 2011 Mar 2011 Dec 2010 Nov 2010 Sep 2010 latest posts