Forum

Welcome to our general Forum page.  Please feel free to post a comment on any issue or topic area. If you upload a picture, it will be available for you to insert here with your post. IF YOU WANT HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE PROVIDE A FULL POSTCODE OR GRID REFERENCE AND DATE of the record so that it can be added to the recording scheme. You will need to register and be logged-on to post to the forum. Find out more

Thu 30th May 2013 08:10 by Ian Andrews
Thanks for the ID, Peter

Details below...

Arctosa perita Calley Heath Yorkshire Wildlife Trust Reserve (SE751497) 28/05/2013 Ian Andrews

Best wishes

Ian

link
Wed 29th May 2013 19:23 by Peter Harvey
Dear Ian

This is the wolf spider Arctosa perita, probably still a juvenile but identifiable from the abdominal pattern. It likes open ground and sandy places. Have you got an Ordnance Survey grid reference and date for your record?

link
Tue 28th May 2013 22:52 by Ian Andrews
Heathland spider
This small (probably about 9mm across?) spider was burrowing into a small hole in open, sandy soil on heathy grassland at Calley Heath Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserve. It spent some time underground, arranging the granules at the mouth of its burrow, with just the tips of its legs visible. It only emerged when an ant disturbed it from its hole.

Just a genus would be interesting.

Thanks for any help with what it is.

Ian

link
Wed 22nd May 2013 15:29 by Peter Harvey
Thanks very much for the location details. They are quite widely distributed (see Summary/s/Steatoda+grossa ). They used to be very scarce in south-eastern England, but seem to have become more common in recent years.

Peter

link
Wed 22nd May 2013 14:15 by Andrew Groom
Is this a False Widow (Steatoda grossa)
is this a false widow (Steatoda grossa) Copyright: Andrew Groom

Thank you for your resonse - much appreciated. This picture was taken in Abindon, Oxfordshire OX14 4BZ on Sunday 19th May.

Are they common in the UK as I have not seen one before?

Thanks for your help

Andy

link
Wed 22nd May 2013 13:21 by Peter Harvey
Dear Andy

Assuming there is no obvious pattern on the part of the abdomen not visible in the photograph, then I think it is safe to say this is Steatoda grossa, yes. Can you provide a postcode or Ordnance Survey grid reference so that we can add your record to the recording scheme.

Peter

link
Wed 22nd May 2013 13:17 by Andrew Groom
False Widow (Steatoda grossa) Spider Identification -
is this a false widow (Steatoda grossa) Copyright: Andrew Groom Hi

Please see attached image of an unusual spider I came across whilst disassembling a summer house in a garden in Abingdon Oxfordshire. I found it underneath the base (floor) of the summer house. There were three of the same species, and I took this photo of the lager one which was about the size of an average grape. I touched the spiders abdomen and it instantly curled into a ball to protect itself by wrapping its legs around its body.  I have been intrigued as I am 33 years old and have not came across this species of spider in the UK.

Please can you identify this spider, and let me know of its bite capability. Having done a little research myself I suspect it is the False Widow (Steatoda grossa). However, I have not been able to find anything definitive to confirm this as there are quite a few different species, and it’s difficult to match other images of the false widow with the attached image

Please can someone help me to identify this?

Thanks

Andy

link
Sat 18th May 2013 09:58 by Evan Jones
GOT IT
Glyptogona sextuberculata. It is an Araneid!

I get the impression that it is not known well. Theo Blick from Eurospiders gave the ID. It is known patchily from Italy to Israel. That is all I can find so far

link
Fri 17th May 2013 16:55 by Evan Jones
Phoroncidia looks right ball park
Thanks Peter so it is a Theridiid. It behaved like one in the wild. I have googled Phoroncidia and most pictures look similar but not very like it but I have also found a couple of images that look exactly like it attributed to the name but not authoritatively. So am asking around! The Med is wild country spider-wise!
link
Fri 17th May 2013 16:34 by Peter Harvey
Certainly not Cyrtophora citricola, which is a colonial spider found in large complex tent webs in large bushes. It looks like Phoroncidia paradoxa or similar, unless it is a Hyptiotes? The male is not adult (no structure to the swollen palps, just bags). Don't know about the female.
link
Fri 17th May 2013 13:31 by Evan Jones
Could it be something like Cyrtophora?

They are about 3-4 mm. I found the male upside down under what I thought was a very fine sheet web(!!) between stones at ground level. The female I found under a stone close by and I must have destroyed her web in turning the stone. They could be immature although I had assumed not - in fact they look immature on close inspection of photos.

Cyrtophora is a really big spider. I know it well with it's domed sheets in things like prickly pear in southern Spain.

link
Fri 17th May 2013 13:05 by Evan Jones
Here is a side view of the female.
Getting an Araneid sort of feeling? Side view female Copyright: Evan Jones
link
Fri 17th May 2013 12:17 by Evan Jones
Stumped but here is a close-up of the male's head
Do not know Copyright: Evan JonesIs it a Theridiid or an Araneid? Still stumped!
link
Fri 17th May 2013 12:00 by Evan Jones
Stumped
I just uploaded a picture.  Therdiids??? Another Corfu find. Do you know it Peter?This time I am really stumped Copyright: Evan Jones
link
Thu 16th May 2013 17:48 by Peter Harvey
Re Sitticus Distinguendus (Kent)
Your jumping spider is almost certainly Sitticus pubescens, usually a spider of walls and fences in gardens.

Sitticus distinguendus is a species very unlikely indeed to occur in gardens, and is currently only known from a small area at West Thurrock Marshes on stony saline (slightly salty) habitat, where it is present in reasonable numbers, and in a small area of chalky ground on Swanscombe Peninsula, across the river from West Thurrock, where only very few spiders have been found.

If you can get a decent photograph of your spiders, it might be possible to be sure.

link
Thu 16th May 2013 12:36 by Christina Brown
Sitticus Distinguendus (Kent)
Hello everybody, I've just registered here after hearing about the recent discovery of this species on the Swanscombe Peninsula (site of the proposed new Disney park).

Being far from knowledgeable about spiders myself, I wondered if someone here might know if this particular spider is very similar to other, perhaps less rare, jumping spiders please?

The reason I ask is because I've lived in Swanscombe since the age of 2 (am now 50!), roughly 1-1.5 miles from this particular site. As a child, I can clearly remember watching small black/dark brown and white jumping spiders scurrying in and out of the holes in the garden wall at my parents' home and they're still there even today. Might it just be coincidence, or could this species in fact have been living locally for much longer than is thought, do you suppose? Any opinions gratefully received, thank you very much!

Chris

link
Wed 15th May 2013 19:47 by Peter Harvey
Re Spider identification
Can't be sure from picture, but could be female Steatoda grossa?? See Steatoda grossa and Steatoda grossa picture page.
link
Wed 15th May 2013 15:49 by Norgard Davies
Spider identification
Spider in my shed Copyright: Norgard Davies

Does anyone know what this spider is?

link
Wed 15th May 2013 15:00 by Evan Jones
Peter that was too fast!

Yep, found two in Corfu. But check out the front leg hairs! They are iridescent with a bright green look. At first I thought my first specimen had a bit of fresh grass stuck to it's leg. Spider-hunting spider this is!

link
Wed 15th May 2013 14:52 by Peter Harvey
Re What the heck
Dear Evan

Your What the heck picture from Corfu is Palpimanus gibbulus, a nice spider. Fortunately the only species in the genus in Europe.

link

Archives: Feb 2017 Dec 2016 Oct 2016 Sep 2016 Aug 2016 Jul 2016 Jun 2016 May 2016 Apr 2016 Mar 2016 Feb 2016 Jan 2016 Dec 2015 Nov 2015 Oct 2015 Sep 2015 Aug 2015 Jul 2015 Jun 2015 May 2015 Apr 2015 Mar 2015 Feb 2015 Dec 2014 Nov 2014 Oct 2014 Sep 2014 Aug 2014 Jul 2014 Jun 2014 May 2014 Apr 2014 Mar 2014 Feb 2014 Jan 2014 Dec 2013 Nov 2013 Oct 2013 Sep 2013 Aug 2013 Jul 2013 Jun 2013 May 2013 Apr 2013 Feb 2013 Jan 2013 Dec 2012 Nov 2012 Oct 2012 Sep 2012 Aug 2012 Jul 2012 Jun 2012 May 2012 Feb 2012 Jan 2012 Dec 2011 Nov 2011 Oct 2011 Aug 2011 May 2011 Mar 2011 Dec 2010 Nov 2010 Sep 2010 latest posts