Forum

Welcome to our general Forum page.  Please feel free to post a comment on any issue or topic area. If you upload a picture, it will be available for you to insert here with your post. IF YOU WANT HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE PROVIDE A FULL POSTCODE OR GRID REFERENCE AND DATE of the record so that it can be added to the recording scheme. You will need to register and be logged-on to post to the forum. Find out more

Sat 31st August 2013 18:16 by Peter Harvey
Re: Wasp Spider at Horsey in Norfolk
The latest distribution of Argiope based on records received by the recording scheme is shown at Argiope bruennichi, so still rather few records for Norfolk. This is one of the species for which anyone can submit records (Wasp+Spider page, and 'save your records' link), but you need to register first.
link
Sat 31st August 2013 18:09 by Peter Harvey
Re: Spider ID please
Without a reasonable picture of the spider and a good estimate of size I would not like to say what spider has made these webs. If the web is small, it could be a linyphiid (money spider) and the main hole visible is not a tubular retreat. However what little that can be seen of the spider itself in the second picture doesn't look much like the usual linyphiid suspects which make webs on lawns. If the web is made by an agelenid spider, with a sheet and tubular retreat, it presumably could be one of the 'house spider' Tegenaria species rather than Agelena, which is not normally found in the average (suburban) garden. If it was a Tegenaria species, then it would need an adult under a microscope to identify to species. I think I would lean towards the spider being a juvenile Tegenaria.
link
Wed 28th August 2013 17:49 by Tim Hodge
Wasp Spider at Horsey in Norfolk
I saw a Wasp Spider at Horsey in Norfolk yesterday and have uploaded a photo. I am struggling to navigate the website and to add more details of the record. It appears still to be very rare in Norfolk?

Thanks for any help.

Tim HodgeWasp Spider at Horsey Copyright: Tim Hodge

link
Wed 28th August 2013 07:46 by Linda Hinchcliffe
Spider ID please
Hi, I'm new to the forum, I have posted on wild about britain and they couldn't help so a kind gentleman there suggested I came here and especially ask for Peter Harvey. Here is what I posted on wild about britain

I was hoping someone can ID this spiders web and spider from these pics, please. we noticed them yesterday in our lawn and there are lots of them. With the dew been on them today I was able to snap one of the webs and also managed to get a fleeting glimpse of the spider. Sorry that this one isn't clear as he didn't come to the surface. I have looked it up on the internet and all I can seem to find is either the Purseweb spider or Labyrinth Spider both it seems are south of the country but I'm up in Yorkshire so just wondering if we have a similar one up here or have they migrated. thanks

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/Linda2810/website_zps6e019fa7.jpg link

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/Linda2810/web2_zps0005195c.jpg link

link
Sun 11th August 2013 11:13 by Mark Liggett
Re: Spider Id
Thanks Peter very helpful.  Sounds like our fellow. Best of luck.
link
Fri 9th August 2013 08:55 by Peter Harvey
Re: Spider Id
Hi Mark, your spider looks like one of the larger house spiders Tegenaria species. These can only be identified to species by microscopical examination of adults.
link
Fri 9th August 2013 08:23 by Peter Harvey
Re: Adding a location entry for a Segestria Florentina
Hi Adam, thanks for uploading the picture. With green chelicerae your spiders are certainly Segestria florentina, and I think they can probably be quite long-lived. Your record has been added to the recording scheme.
link
Tue 6th August 2013 23:49 by Mark Liggett
Spider Id
Hi all, I've shared a shed with the following friendly fellow for several years now, although I suspect that's not the case and this is simply this year's specimen.

I'm curious as to what type it is. It lived on an old chair near the window in a warm wooden shed. It's difficult to determine the size but I expect it was around 20mm.  I've looked through the Id pictures but can't determine which it might be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Shed Friend Again Copyright: Mark Liggett

Shed Friend Copyright: Mark Liggett

link
Tue 6th August 2013 09:36 by B Smith
RE. Spider found in Peak District
Thanks. I wish I had a better camera with me, it was a very striking specimen.
link
Mon 5th August 2013 20:51 by Evan Jones
Yep. I think (that could be a major qualification!) that it is a female and she looks gravid. Spiders do vary in size though and this species is variable in colour and pattern. Wolf spiders are a lot smaller. Probably this is a particularly fine specimen worth shooting and mounting on the wall.
link
Mon 5th August 2013 12:46 by B Smith
Ah ok, I see lots of Nursery Web spiders (I used to know them as Wolf spiders) on Gorse near my home, but they are generally smaller and a sandy colour with more distinct dark brown and cream stripe markings. Also the abdonmen is no wider than the body and is elongated, rather than being much wider than the body and almond shaped.

What is the difference in what I am seeing? Are the ones I am used to seeing Males or non pregnant Female's with different colouration or is there something else?

link
Mon 5th August 2013 12:06 by Evan Jones
Intimidating B Smith? The Gorse bush it is on is a lot more intimidating!. This spider is female and is called a Nursery-web Spider. The web she is on could be hers and spun to protect her live babies inside. She looks quit fat though almost as if she has not laid her eggs but if she is on her nursery web she must have done a while ago because she carries them around in a silk ball held in her jaws for a while before they hatch. Then she spins a web around her hatching spiderlings. She sits on or near the web to protect the babies inside. Perhaps though the web is not anything to do with her but has been spun by another large spider that is often found on gorse Agelena labyrinthica and she is just sunbathing on it.

The spider is called Pisaura mirabilis and is very common in the UK. Pisaura are prettily marked in very varied patterns of light and dark browns and greys.

Yes, she is quite a big spider as they go in Britain but watch out in future though because there are some bigger spiders out there! Actually she will do you no harm at all.

Watch out more for prickly gorse bushes though as they can actually hurt!

link
Mon 5th August 2013 11:52 by B Smith
Spider found in Peak District ID please
Hello, I came across this spider in the Peak district between Hollins Cross and Edale on the side of the footpath SK1332684636. The web and spider were sitting on top of some knee height scrub vegetation (Gorse).

I was a little taken aback by it's size and it looked very distincitve to me, not like anything I have seen before in the UK.

The picture doesn't do it justice (I only had an old mobile phone to photo it with), especially the colours, I would describe it as grey with a darker grey-brown pattern on it's abdomen which was noticably large and almond shaped. It's legs looked thick and muscular. Body length (legs excluded) it is hard to feel accurate, but at a guess 1.5-2.5cm, it was the most intidmating looking spider I've seen in the UK.

PeakDistrictGorseSpider1 Copyright: G Walton PeakDistrictGorseSpider2 Copyright: G Walton

I've looked on a couple of UK spider ID sites and have found nothing that really looks like it.

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks.

link
Sat 3rd August 2013 09:08 by Peter Harvey
Re: found at home
The picture you have uploaded named spider is one of the house spider Tegenaria species. These can't be identified to species level without microscopical examination of adults.
link
Sat 3rd August 2013 08:34 by Paul Demetriades
found at home on carpet by the front door is this this common species.
link

Archives: Jul 2017 Jun 2017 May 2017 Apr 2017 Mar 2017 Feb 2017 Dec 2016 Oct 2016 Sep 2016 Aug 2016 Jul 2016 Jun 2016 May 2016 Apr 2016 Mar 2016 Feb 2016 Jan 2016 Dec 2015 Nov 2015 Oct 2015 Sep 2015 Aug 2015 Jul 2015 Jun 2015 May 2015 Apr 2015 Mar 2015 Feb 2015 Dec 2014 Nov 2014 Oct 2014 Sep 2014 Aug 2014 Jul 2014 Jun 2014 May 2014 Apr 2014 Mar 2014 Feb 2014 Jan 2014 Dec 2013 Nov 2013 Oct 2013 Sep 2013 Aug 2013 Jul 2013 Jun 2013 May 2013 Apr 2013 Feb 2013 Jan 2013 Dec 2012 Nov 2012 Oct 2012 Sep 2012 Aug 2012 Jul 2012 Jun 2012 May 2012 Feb 2012 Jan 2012 Dec 2011 Nov 2011 Oct 2011 Aug 2011 May 2011 Mar 2011 Dec 2010 Nov 2010 Sep 2010 latest posts