Forum

Welcome to our general Forum page.  Please feel free to post a comment on any issue or topic area. If you upload a picture, it will be available for you to insert here with your post. IF YOU WANT HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE PROVIDE A FULL POSTCODE OR GRID REFERENCE AND DATE of the record so that it can be added to the recording scheme. You will need to register and be logged-on to post to the forum. Find out more

Sat 29th November 2014 18:48 by Claire Toffolo
Thank you Peter
Thanks for having a look, I can't believe I put sap instead of Sac lol, sorry about that, the information was really useful though, thank you :)
link
Fri 28th November 2014 17:02 by Peter Harvey
Dear Claire

Your new posted pictures can't be identified to species I'm afraid. Your sap (Sac) spider is a juvenile Clubiona. There are many species, all pretty similar and adults under a microscope are needed for all but one or two species. Your Unknown spider 1 is again a baby, after lightening the image it looks as though it might possibly be the jumping spider Pseuduophrys lanigera, but by no means a definite id. The Unknown spider 2 is a juvenile Pardosa wolf spider. Again identification of almost all of these requires adults under a microscope.

link
Thu 27th November 2014 19:44 by Claire Toffolo
Thank you for the responses
Thank you for all the responses apologies for my delay in responding...

For Peter

The post code is EX6 8FD and the date was Thursday 20th November, I will remember to include that in the post in future :)

For Peter and Evan

My place of work is in a rural surrounding with fields and some wastelands, open habitats etc which is one of the reasons I believed it could be Tegenaria agrestis... The out building where I find is right next to hedges and fields with no real human movement.

There was some iridescence on the jaws of the spider in the hole but not vivid green... There was at least twelve or so radiating threads, I would say 18 or so threads maybe, I was using the camera on my phone, but it refused to focus on the spider I tried many different settings as it usually pretty good for photographing spiders and other nature but on that evening it would only focus on the brickwork...

Amazing pictures Evan, they are lovely!!

Thank you again! :)

link
Tue 25th November 2014 16:56 by Evan Jones
The ayes have it! A. ferox Copyright: Evan Jones S. florentina Copyright: Evan Jones
link
Mon 24th November 2014 19:51 by Peter Harvey
The usual problem of trying to make definitive identifications from photographs. I am not at all sure 6 legs forward can be described as a give away for Segestria. Surely this is the natural appearance of almost any spider with a tubular retreat that waits at the entrance of the retreat.

I was waiting for comment from Claire about iridescence on the jaws (certainly depends on the lighting) and the radiating threads of Segestria species. Without these, I do not believe any reliable identification can be made.

link
Mon 24th November 2014 18:43 by Evan Jones
A mysterious paradox!
Claire's tube spider is in a hole with what looks at first like Amaurobius webbing but is an animal with the give-away six legs forward of a Segestria. It looks like an S. florentina to me at least it makes me as nervous as I feel when trying to lure one out by spider tickling. Has Claire been moving spiders around to confuse! On second thoughts it could be in it's own web that has just been messed about a bit! They do not always have obviously green jaws. I know because I have often tried to find photogenic ones and have been disappointed!
link
Sat 22nd November 2014 22:57 by Peter Harvey
Re: Orb Weaver Identification. Yes, the orb web spider is Araneus diadematus, the garden spider.

With the other 2, one is a Tegenaria species, but which species requires examination under a microscope. It will not be Tegenaria agrestis, which in this country occurs outdoors in open habitats under stones and similar, not indoors or in gardens.

The other one might be an Amaurobius species, but it is not possible to be sure from your photograph. Segestria species make a tubular retreat with a web that has a dozen or so radiating threads with proceed from the mouth of the retreat. Segestria florentina has iridescent green jaws, which do not appear to be present in your photo.

Pleae note that if you expect help, you should provide a full postcode or Ordnance Survey grid reference and date of the record as requested.

link
Sat 22nd November 2014 20:41 by Claire Toffolo
Tube Web Spider Devon Copyright: Claire Toffolo

Tegenaria species Copyright: Claire Toffolo

Hi

I recently found these two spiders.

One is I believe a Tube web spider (Segestria florentina) and the other a "Yard Spider" (Tegenaria agrestis) although I am not 100% on either, would anyone be able to confirm or let me know the right species please?

Many thanks

Claire :)

link
Sat 22nd November 2014 20:32 by Claire Toffolo
Orb Weaver Identification
Large Orb Weaver found at work Copyright: Claire Toffolo

Hi

I found this almost waddling along a pathway at work, looks a little like a cross orb weaver (Araneus diadematus) but abdomen was completely out of proportion almost bloated to the usual sightings I have found.

Does anyone know what species this actually is?

Thank you

Claire

link
Thu 20th November 2014 15:59 by David Blackledge
S. paykulliana
Thanks for your comments Peter.  I rather guessed it would be a case of occasonal ad hoc records, which as you say are of rather limited value in any case.

regards Dave

link
Wed 19th November 2014 17:19 by Peter Harvey
re: Steatoda paykulliana?
Yes, this looks like Steatoda paykulliana (male). It is periodically imported with grapes and similar from the Mediterranean. There has been no formalised system for recording these, and the BAS/SRS only occasionally gets to hear about these imports anyway, and even more rarely gets to see any evidence to verify them (e.g. once in a blue moon black widow Latrodectus imports are reported, but I know of none which have actually been verified by an arachnologist). My personal feeling is that there is little point in recording something which has simply literally been carried in with produce, unless there is any evidence that a species becomes established, either indoors or outdoors. Otherwise we would start recording anything anyone carried into the country, either accidentally or deliberately, from anywhere in the world.

There is anyway no way of knowing if this is the first time the spider has been imported into Cumbria. Presumably there is a fairly equal chance of its importation into any part of the country, and the event is more likely to be related to the location of supermarkets or distribution centres etc as anything else.

link
Wed 19th November 2014 13:04 by David Blackledge
Steatoda paykulliana?
Poss Steatoda paykulliana 2 Copyright: David Blackledge Poss Steatoda paykulliana Copyright: David Blackledge

Here are the photos

link
Wed 19th November 2014 13:04 by David Blackledge
Steatoda paykulliana?
Hi The spider in the attached photos was this week taken into Tullie House Museum, Carlisle by Cumbria Environmental Health.  Having been reported emerging from a recently purchased bunch of grapes at a house nearby.  I'm assuming this is a male S. paykulliana?  If so, does anyone know how commonly it is imported and whether anyone keeps records of it's occurrence? (I was asked whether it had turned up in Cumbria before)

Best wishes

Dave

link
Mon 17th November 2014 08:02 by Peter Harvey
Re: Cryptachaea Blattea Plymouth
This is interesting. No, there are no further records for Cryptachaea blattea since the first one from the Isle of Wight. Perhaps you would be able to write an article for the SRS News (Spring issue now, the Autumn issue is complete waiting publication) on your discovery.

When I manage to find the time to get the information ready for MapMate Ltd to update the spider taxon library for this software, it will be possible to add records for this species and for these to be mapped on this website. If you provide me with the full details of your record, I can manually do this for this species straight away. However you will note that the checklist update to MapMate will be in accordance with the latest British checklist (Arachnology 16 (4) Spring 2014), where for example your Parasteatoda simulans remains in Achaearanea. In the checklist the reasons for this decision is explained. In Britain we should be following the British checklist until such time as it is again updated.

link
Mon 17th November 2014 07:07 by Matt Prince
Cryptachaea Blattea Plymouth
Hi Peter,

Apologies about the low quality of the micrograbs, but here's a couple of theridiidae from Plymouth that might be of interest to forum members.

Found on the underside of a bit of blue plastic debris in a damp and shaded deciduous woodland with little understory in Plymouth. Male and female together in a negligible tangle web. Area is a nature reserve but adjoining a housing estate with much litter and signs of fly-tipping.

Jizz was acharaneae like, being quite small I was thinking it might be parasteatoda simulans, but it had a small tubercle on the back of the rounded, high abdomen in both sexes. Genitalia was simple and didn't match any of the illustrations in Roberts, but did match those in the BAS article 123 from 2012 - Cryptachea blattea. A vagrant from NZ, thought to be imported with plant material.

Marriott D (2012) Cryptachaea blattea (Urquhart, 1886) a theridiid new to Great Britain. Newsl Br Arachnol Soc 123: 9-10

Have their been any records between 2012 and these two specimens Peter?

One to watch out for perhaps?

Regards. Matt

link
Thu 13th November 2014 10:45 by Peter Harvey
Many thanks, CA8 9BW gives me NY484554
link
Thu 13th November 2014 08:26 by Alfred Parker
wrong location!
Sorry, I was trying to be specific but clearly wrong location. When I put postcode in it still comes up with NY484445 along with the postcode? Suggest you use CA8 9BW for location.  Alf
link
Wed 12th November 2014 20:26 by Peter Harvey
Yes, looks good for Opilio canestrinii. Thanks for grid reference and date. Are you sure about grid reference though, seems to place it in a field? see NY484445
link
Wed 12th November 2014 03:52 by Alfred Parker
possible Opilio canestrinii
I found this in my garden back in August this year and am only now sorting out IDs. I believe it to be Opilio canestrinii which appears not to be recorded very often. If someone can confirm please add to the record. Image taken 18 Aug 2014, location NY484445. Opilione 18Aug14 (02) Copyright: Alfred Parker Opilione 18Aug14 (01) Copyright: Alf Parker
link
Tue 4th November 2014 19:10 by Peter Harvey
Neither spider is identifiable from your photos, but the larger one could be one of the house spider Tegenaria species. It needs a close up sharper photograph to see more, but Tegenaria spiders need microscopical examination of adults to identify to species anyway.
link
Tue 4th November 2014 18:24 by Barbara Bird
Big Dinner for a Little Spider
Hi, I've been watching this spider living in the corner of my kitchen for a few weeks now. This morning I awoke to find this huge house spider (?) caught in her web. I think she's a sheet web spider of some type, about 1cm. Found at E177bs on 4/11/14

Is this a rare occurrence or do these small spiders catch such large prey often? She seems to have wrapped the house spider's front legs together to trap him.

spider in my corner Copyright: Barbara Bird from underneath the web Copyright: Barbara Bird

link
Sun 2nd November 2014 11:33 by Peter Harvey
Looks like the orb web spider Nuctenea umbratica, a widespread spider found in crevices and under bark in gardens, on fences, woodlands etc. As noted in the forum introduction above the posts, please provide a full postcode or Ordnance Survey grid reference and date of the record so that it can be added to the recording scheme.
link
Sun 2nd November 2014 10:36 by Joanne Staines
Mystery Spider in Barlestone, Leicestershire
Hi, can anyone help in identifying this spider which I found when I was dismantling my trampoline yesterday in the garden. It was underneath some plastic covering and was very lethargic with its legs pointing forward in front of it. When I poked it, (sorry thought it was dead) its legs flicked out horizontally like it was having a stretch!

ADDED - Postcode CV13 0HW Sorry if its really common, but I'm just interested.

Thanks, Jo

Mystery SPider Copyright: Joanne Staines

link

Archives: May 2017 Apr 2017 Mar 2017 Feb 2017 Dec 2016 Oct 2016 Sep 2016 Aug 2016 Jul 2016 Jun 2016 May 2016 Apr 2016 Mar 2016 Feb 2016 Jan 2016 Dec 2015 Nov 2015 Oct 2015 Sep 2015 Aug 2015 Jul 2015 Jun 2015 May 2015 Apr 2015 Mar 2015 Feb 2015 Dec 2014 Nov 2014 Oct 2014 Sep 2014 Aug 2014 Jul 2014 Jun 2014 May 2014 Apr 2014 Mar 2014 Feb 2014 Jan 2014 Dec 2013 Nov 2013 Oct 2013 Sep 2013 Aug 2013 Jul 2013 Jun 2013 May 2013 Apr 2013 Feb 2013 Jan 2013 Dec 2012 Nov 2012 Oct 2012 Sep 2012 Aug 2012 Jul 2012 Jun 2012 May 2012 Feb 2012 Jan 2012 Dec 2011 Nov 2011 Oct 2011 Aug 2011 May 2011 Mar 2011 Dec 2010 Nov 2010 Sep 2010 latest posts