Forum

Welcome to our general Forum page.  Please feel free to post a comment on any issue or topic area. If you upload a picture, it will be available for you to insert here with your post. IF YOU WANT HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE PROVIDE A FULL POSTCODE OR GRID REFERENCE AND DATE of the record in your post so that it can be added to the recording scheme. You will need to register and be logged-on to post to the forum. Find out more

Tue 30th June 2015 15:38 by Peter Harvey
This is a Philodromus spider, but to identify to species would require microscopical examination. It might be P. dispar.
link
Tue 30th June 2015 08:28 by Trevor Southward
Spider with Nest.
Please could I have an ID for this small spider looking after its nest on my Hosta Striptease. Preston, Lancashire. 29/06/2015 Spider on Hosta Striptease Copyright: Trevor Southward
link
Sun 28th June 2015 21:34 by Jo Poland
Araneus angulatus?
Thanks very much for confirming this Peter. How often do people find this spider in their gardens and how can I learn more about it? I am keen to know if there is someone in Cornwall who would be interested in this record?
link
Sun 28th June 2015 18:25 by Peter Harvey
Yes this is Araneus angulatus. Thanks for the details, which will enable your record to be added to the recording scheme.
link
Sun 28th June 2015 13:51 by Jo Poland
Araneus angulatus?
We found this spider in our garden yesterday (Zelah, Cornwall SW805512). We think it is Araneus angulatus, having seen it before 2 years ago at Red River valley Camborne (Cornwall). We will submit this record to our loacl recording scheme (ERCCIS) but also wondered if there is a spider recorder in Cornwall or anyone with a particular interest in this species?

A angulatus in garden Copyright: Jo Poland

link
Thu 25th June 2015 07:22 by Peter Harvey
Your spider is Ballus chalybeius (a female or juvenile). In the case of Neon robustus photographs would not be enough to identify it. An adult palp or epigyne under a microscope is an absolute necessity, and even then requires careful examination and comparison with N. reticulatus. Can you please provide a date of the record so that it can be added to the recording scheme.
link
Wed 24th June 2015 22:44 by Trudy Hancock
Possible Neon robustus
Would like some help with ID please http://srs.britishspiders.org.uk/portal.php/p/forum/r/view/u/423/x/1e3afd03
link
Tue 23rd June 2015 15:25 by Peter Harvey
Yes, this is Agelena, will be juvenile at the moment.
link
Tue 23rd June 2015 13:26 by Allan Neilson
possible Agelena labyrinthica
poss Agelena labyrinthica -1 (09-Jun-2015) Copyright: Allan Neilson poss Agelena labyrinthica -2 (09-Jun-2015) Copyright: Allan Neilson I found this spider on gorse on a S-facing bank beside a track on Dorset Wildlife's Trust reserve at Tadnoll Heath.  The abdomen markings and long close-set spinners make me think it's A. labyrinthica.  Instead of on the usual flat sheet web with a neat tubular retreat and knockdown strands above it was in a rather untidy "pocket" with webs top and bottom and what may have been the retreat going off top-left in pic-2.  I've not seen this before, have I mis-ID'd? Apologies for quality of images - they were taken through the upper web and I could get no closer to it for pic-1.
link
Sun 21st June 2015 12:50 by Peter Harvey
Probably Xysticus cristatus yes, but you can't be sure without microscopical examination of the epigyne. There are quite a few Xysticus species would look very similar, and are also variable.
link
Sun 21st June 2015 12:33 by Allan Neilson
possible Xysticus cristatus
I think this is a female X. cristatus.  I found her on nettles by the south-facing wall of a ruined building on the Montacute Estate, just off the NE corner of the formal gardens. Location ST501172
link
Fri 19th June 2015 16:08 by Peter Harvey
This is probably Xerolycosa miniata, but basically this would need confirmation of an adult under a microscope.
link
Fri 19th June 2015 11:27 by Timothy Gibbons
Alopecosa barbipes?

I have posted the image but not 100% sure, I know that the colour can vary somewhat.  Was found close to EH31 2BE, Gullane Beach, among the dunes. Any thoughts on ID or would a specimen be preferred?

Cheers

link
Thu 18th June 2015 22:45 by Peter Harvey
If you are logged-on, there will be a picture upload button on the toolbar. You don't say why the picture upload is not allowed and exactly what happens or what warning is given, so I can't make any suggestion, but the picture upload works, so you must be doing something wrong. Make sure you read the picture guidelines first.
link
Thu 18th June 2015 22:30 by Timothy Gibbons
Cannot upload pictures.
Just been trying to upload pictures and will not allow it. I have registered and I have logged on.  What could be causing this?

Cheers

Update 19/06 Sussed it out now, cheers.

link
Mon 15th June 2015 12:17 by Alison Barker
Thank you. The location is in Southbourne, West Sussex.
link
Mon 15th June 2015 07:28 by Peter Harvey
Yes. this looks like Segestria florentina. Thanks for the details.
link
Sun 14th June 2015 16:15 by Alison Barker
Please confirm this is Segestria floretina
Found this large dark spider today when we opened the patio doors for lunch. It has built a funnel web inside the fold of one of the hinges. The spider body is about 22mm long, it has three pairs of legs facing forwards and one back, and it is black and not strongly patterned except that there are little hairs all over the abdomen that make it look grey apart from the mid-line which is hairless and therefore looks black. I have managed to photograph the chelicerae (not easy from the angle that I needed to get to in the door) and you will see that they are reflecting back in metallic green. I am sure this is a female S. florentina and would like to submit the record but really don't want to have to take the voucher specimen to do so (it seems quite happy living in our hinge)

SU767058 Date 14/6/15

Segestria floretina in door hinge Copyright: Alison Barker Segestria florentina head on Copyright: Alison Barker Segestria florentina web in door hinge Copyright: Alison Barker

link
Wed 10th June 2015 17:36 by Peter Harvey
Yes, Steatoda nobilis, and Pholcus phalangioides. Steatoda nobilis, the so-called 'noble false widow', is the spider which the media make such an unjustified fuss about. It has been frequent in the southern coastal counties of England for a great many years, without causing any problems. It is nowadays frequent in many areas of southern England. The media frenzy caused by this spider is unwarranted. There are a number of other 'false widows' in Britain, some which are native or have been in the country for centuries, so there is a lot of misinformation about these spiders. Steatoda nobilis spiders are unobtrusive, have no interest in attacking humans and would only bite if they were put into a position where they do so as a defensive reaction. Honey bees and social wasps pose a far greater risk.

Please can you provide a full postcode or Ordnance Survey grid reference and date of the records so that they can be added to the recording scheme.

link
Wed 10th June 2015 01:00 by James Sampson
Could you confirm my identifications please

Both found in corners in ceiling.  The possible Steatoda nobilis in the corner of a dark bathroom Possible False Widow 10062015 Copyright: James Sampson.  Hasn't moved from this corner in months, drops down out of corner and suspends in the nightime.  The PholcidaePossible Pholcidae Copyright: James Sampson seemed to go into hibernation, hadn't moved position in weeks, and I thought it was dead, but recently moved it's legs today.  The Pholcidae is in the corner near the back door of our home leading to the garden.

link
Mon 8th June 2015 21:04 by Judy Staines
Re: Possible Nigma puella
Thanks for your answer!

The spider body was, at a guess, about 3-4mm long.  Here is another photo, I don't know if that's clearer.  I looked for it again today, but it has moved - I'll keep an eye out.  If I find it again, I'll try to capture it for studio shots which would give me a better chance of a sharp and clear series of photos.

Nigma puella male maybe Copyright: Judy Staines

link
Mon 8th June 2015 20:33 by Peter Harvey
Nigma puella adults are small, but not tiny spiders. The females and juveniles have a fairly distinctive small red mark on a pale green abdomen, and only adult males have an overall reddish coloration (see photos on the Nigma puella page). It is not possible to see enough in your photo to indicate whether your spider has adult male palps, so I would not like to say there is any absolute certainty over the identification. The web certainly looks like a Nigma web.
link
Sun 7th June 2015 22:56 by Judy Staines
Is this Nigna puella (male)
Found this tiny pink/orange spider under a hammock-type web at the top of a Euonymus leaf today.  The nearest ID that could be found after asking on a wildlife forum was Nigma puella (male).  Is this correct?

Many thanks for your help.Pink Spider Copyright: Judy Staines

link
Sat 6th June 2015 22:27 by Peter Harvey
Yes, this is Textrix denticulata. What kind of habitat was it found in please and the date?
link
Sat 6th June 2015 20:07 by Philip Ridsdale
Spider ID
Hello, I have recently joined the group and found this spider, I was hoping somebody could confirm the species for me, I posted it on Facebook and I was informed it is a Textrix denticulata. The postcode for the location is S2 3DT for recording purposes.

I found it on 5,6,15. The habitat is a east facing wall of a toilet block with typical red brick and mortar, the surrounding area is managed gardens within an urban area of terrace houses close to the city centre.

T. denticulata at Heeley City Farm Copyright: Philip Ridsdale

link
Sat 6th June 2015 18:19 by Peter Harvey
No, I don't think this is any Steatoda species, but can't suggest what it might be from the photo.
link
Sat 6th June 2015 09:05 by Scott Brookes
Please identify
Please can you confirm this is a False Widow possible False Widow in former oil store Copyright: Scott Brookes

Thanks

link
Fri 5th June 2015 08:46 by Peter Harvey
Yes, this appears to be Harpactea hombergi. There is a second Harpactea species known from Britain and a lot of other European species, but H. hombergi is a pretty safe bet from woodlands or gardens and buildings. Thanks for the details.
link
Thu 4th June 2015 20:34 by Judy Staines
Spider ID
I joined the forum to help with recording, but this is not one of the few spiders available to record.

Found in my garden in a bunch of dead stinging nettles in a bucket.  After asking on a wildlife forum I was told it was probably Harpactea hombergi.  If you can confirm this from a photo, you could perhaps add it to your records.

Taken in a garden in North Cambs, Grid: TF 15127 06082 , two days ago.

link

Archives: Sep 2017 Aug 2017 Jul 2017 Jun 2017 May 2017 Apr 2017 Mar 2017 Feb 2017 Dec 2016 Oct 2016 Sep 2016 Aug 2016 Jul 2016 Jun 2016 May 2016 Apr 2016 Mar 2016 Feb 2016 Jan 2016 Dec 2015 Nov 2015 Oct 2015 Sep 2015 Aug 2015 Jul 2015 Jun 2015 May 2015 Apr 2015 Mar 2015 Feb 2015 Dec 2014 Nov 2014 Oct 2014 Sep 2014 Aug 2014 Jul 2014 Jun 2014 May 2014 Apr 2014 Mar 2014 Feb 2014 Jan 2014 Dec 2013 Nov 2013 Oct 2013 Sep 2013 Aug 2013 Jul 2013 Jun 2013 May 2013 Apr 2013 Feb 2013 Jan 2013 Dec 2012 Nov 2012 Oct 2012 Sep 2012 Aug 2012 Jul 2012 Jun 2012 May 2012 Feb 2012 Jan 2012 Dec 2011 Nov 2011 Oct 2011 Aug 2011 May 2011 Mar 2011 Dec 2010 Nov 2010 Sep 2010 latest posts