Forum

Welcome to our general Forum page.  Please feel free to post a comment on any issue or topic area. If you upload a picture, it will be available for you to insert here with your post. IF YOU WANT HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE PROVIDE A FULL POSTCODE OR GRID REFERENCE AND DATE of the record so that it can be added to the recording scheme. You will need to register and be logged-on to post to the forum. Find out more

Tue 29th September 2015 15:41 by Peter Harvey
Re: harvestman in Cork
I have traced the location and found the grid reference, so your record can be added.
link
Tue 29th September 2015 13:21 by Sonia Bidwell
harvestmen in cork
As a child I was fearful of spiders but liked harvestmen perhaps they didn't scurry about so ! I have recently moved to Southern Ireland, our temporary accomodation has a whitewashed wall catching the morning sun and the last few days groups of about 20 Dicranopalpus have settled in their characteristic pose . I know I am outside your U.K.  remit but thought you might be interested
link
Sun 27th September 2015 10:22 by Peter Harvey
Thanks Jodie. Possibly a poorly marked Steatoda nobilis, the so-called 'noble false widow', the spider which the media make such an unjustified fuss about. It has been frequent in the southern coastal counties of England for a great many years, without causing any problems. It is nowadays frequent in many areas of southern England and the Midlands. The media frenzy caused by this spider is unwarranted. There are a number of other 'false widows' in Britain, some which are native or have been in the country for centuries, so there is a lot of misinformation about these spiders. Steatoda nobilis spiders are unobtrusive, have no interest in attacking humans and would only bite if they were put into a position where they do so as a defensive reaction. Honey bees and social wasps pose a far greater risk.

Otherwise it could be Steatoda grossa, a spider previously most common in the southwest and occurring more sparingly eastwards and northwards, but in recent years it has also become widespread in the south-east (see summary page).

link
Sat 26th September 2015 20:14 by Jodie Williams
Apologies: post code: b93 8rp. Date: 25/9/2015 Falseblackwidow Copyright: Jodie Williams

Falseblackwidow2 Copyright: Jodie Williams

link
Sat 26th September 2015 19:05 by Peter Harvey
Certainly not Haplodrassus. Probably Clubiona reclusa, some examples of which can be very dark. However, you cannot identify these kinds of spider without adults under a microscope. That goes for almost all Clubiona species and gnaphosids. Clubiona reclusa is unlikely to have been adult in September, and the appearance of the legs suggests your photo was not of an adult.
link
Sat 26th September 2015 19:02 by Andrew Bloomfield
My other thought was Haplodrassus signifer, but I thought its eyes looked more like Clubiona ?
link
Sat 26th September 2015 18:47 by Andrew Bloomfield
clubiona sp Copyright: Andrew Bloomfield

I found this spider under a tangle of felled willows from a dyke edge at Holkham grazing marshes in Norfolk on 23rd September 2015 - I think it is a Clubiona but not seen one as dark as this before, it also seemed larger than Clubiona brevipes of which I had found a few lately in oak trees . The purple hue of its abdomen, left me wondering whether it might be Clubiona pallidula ? Any thoughts

link
Sat 26th September 2015 18:33 by Andrew Bloomfield
Thanks for the confirmation of my latest photos - I will be sending in a lot of records to the Norfolk recorder in a more formal fashion than I have done. Thanks again
link
Sat 26th September 2015 15:50 by Jodie Williams
Please can someone identify this spider
We're clearing out the garage in Solihull and have come across 3 of these so far.  We have no idea what they are or what to do with them. A friend suggested they were false black widows. Expert view appreciated. Thank you in advance

Falseblackwidow2 Copyright: Jodie Williams

Falseblackwidow Copyright: Jodie Williams

link
Sat 26th September 2015 07:52 by Peter Harvey
IN both cases, all three of these will be Cheiracanthium virescens, the first one including an adult male, the other two either adult or juvenile females. The main adult season is early summer, but there is a second small adult season in autumn, see summary page. It is typically a species found on sparsely vegetated areas in open habitat.

Are you providing all your records to the recording scheme through the Area Organiser? If not please provide details of grid reference and preferably a day date for your posts.

link
Fri 25th September 2015 22:03 by Andrew Bloomfield
Holkham spider 1 Copyright: Jonathan Holt

This spider was found in a moth trap at Holkham in Norfolk in May 2015 on the edge of dune/pinewoods. Is is Cheiracanthum erraticum or a Clubiona sp ?

link
Fri 25th September 2015 21:51 by Andrew Bloomfield
Roydon spider 1 Copyright: Andrew Bloomfield Wells spider 1 Copyright: Andrew Bloomfield

Two different spiders - could both be Cheiracanthium virescans ? One found on sandy heath between clumps of heather at Roydon Common in Norfolk on May 24th and the other from an old disused chalk pit on short turf at Wells-next-the-Sea in Norfolk on April 8th

link
Fri 25th September 2015 15:55 by Peter Harvey
These are as you suggest in the photo title, garden spiders Araneus diadematus. These become adult in late summer and early autumn, and then their presence on their large orb webs is often more obvious in gardens. The species is also a very variable spider in terms of colour and depth of markings. They are harmless to humans.
link
Fri 25th September 2015 13:36 by Donna Hornby
What is this please?
Garden spider on apple tree Copyright: Donna Hornby

There are about 10 of them strung across my apple tree, can someone please tell me what they are?

It is in rhyl LL183BA

Found them today 25/9/15

link
Thu 24th September 2015 22:16 by Andrew Bloomfield
Many thanks
link
Tue 22nd September 2015 20:56 by Peter Harvey
A juvenile theriidid, probably Theridion. You cannot get to species without an adult under a microscope.
link
Tue 22nd September 2015 20:32 by Andrew Bloomfield
mystery spider found in mixed birch and pine wood Copyright: Andrew Bloomfield 2nd Image Mystery spider Wells Pinewoods Copyright: Andrew Bloomfield Any ideas what this spider is ? - found crawling up the inside of my truck when carrying out woodland work within an area of mixed birch, pine and oak woodland in Wells Pinewoods, Norfolk on September 13th 2015.
link
Tue 22nd September 2015 19:46 by Peter Harvey
This is a linyphiid spider, probably juvenile, and possibly Neriene peltata, a spider adult in early summer, but can't be sure without adult and microscopical examination.
link
Tue 22nd September 2015 19:30 by Katy Everson
Another for id
Thank you so much for a quick identification of my previous spider.

I thought I would also post this one I found a couple of weeks back which I haven't found an Id for yet.

Unknown spiderside Copyright: Katy Everson Unknown Spider face Copyright: Katy Everson

Body Size: 2mm Date found: 12.09.15 Grid reference: SX872725 Locality: Hackney Marshes, in wooded area was found on low hanging tree branch upside down on mesh web.

Thank you again!

link
Tue 22nd September 2015 18:50 by Peter Harvey
This is Neottiura bimaculata, see summary page. Thanks for the information.
link
Tue 22nd September 2015 17:55 by Katy Everson
A small spider for identification
Hi, I found this little one climbing the side of my car and its identification has me stumped, projecting epigyne can be seen in one photo.

Body Size: just over 2mm Date found: 18.09.15 Grid reference: SX919903 Locality: a carpark in industrial site next to brook, Exeter.

Thank you for any help in identification.

link
Sat 19th September 2015 17:36 by Peter Harvey
Thanks for the date of the record and other details. It isn't possible to see enough of the palps to be sure, but I would not say this looks like a male. Although adult Segestria males have a simple palp structure, it is still distinct and not apparent here.
link
Sat 19th September 2015 16:52 by Debbie Allan
Thanks for id here are record details
Male in Gosport Hampshire 04-Sep-2015 pic b Copyright: D.R. Allan
I did try and use the forum - honest. I inserted the pictures, added text, but I possibly forgot to actually click submit - I'll never know for sure. Thank you very much for confirming the identity of my spider. I have been puzzled by this species several times now - they are usually seen as just 'legs and chelicerae' whilst sitting in the air brick vents, or gaps around the window frames, on the outside of my house and just back up and sit tight when disturbed. This one was wandering around the window frame and I couldn't resist the chance to identify him. Here are the details for the record (I have it as a male from memory (so please correct me if I am wrong about that): D.R. Allan, Segestria florentina, male, 04-Sep-2015, SU607006 Mill Pond Road (Gosport, Hampshire). Best wishes Debbie
link
Sat 19th September 2015 14:55 by Peter Harvey
There are and have not been any posts between 28 Aug and 16 Sep, so all the current moth's posts are shown by the current posts link or when you go to the forum page.

There are 2 images which were uploaded, "Is this Segestria florentina at my window 2" and "Possible Segestria florentina at my window", but as explained in the picture upload guidelines and on the picture upload page, if you want help with identification, then you should either use the forum or the contact us page (and provide a full postcode or grid reference and date for the spider, which your photo upload does provide, but without any date).

Yes, your photos look like Segestria florentina. This is a spider which used to be found mainly near ports but which nowadays has spread much more widely inland. They make a tubular web which they use to catch prey insects and other invertebrates, which tug the trip lines when they walk over these, so the spider inside its retreat knows when to appear and subdue the prey.

link
Sat 19th September 2015 12:19 by Debbie Allan
Help needed to find my post
Hi all, I posted a query and some pics for id/confirmation of possible Segestria florentina (I think I put S. fenestralis!!) on 14th of this month. At first I couldn't actually find a link to the current forum as I keep my browser window fairly small and the link to 'current posts' is with 2010 posts - off the page for me! Well, now I have found the current posts, but they only go back to 16th :( Can anyone tell me how to view the rest of Sep-2015 posts please. Thanks in advance. Debbie Allan
link
Fri 18th September 2015 11:10 by Matt Perry
Green spider
This has recently built a nest under the arm of a garden chair

Not sure what type of spider this is though - the unusual appearance was what prompted the photo as I haven't seen anything similar

Green spider Copyright: Matt Perry

link
Thu 17th September 2015 19:35 by Sue Tims
Wasp spider, Devon.
Hi, I'm new to this but here goes...  I'm not a spider lover (although, I do leave an area of my garden untouched for nursery spiders and anything else that needs a home...) but I have recently found an interest since being shown a large number of wasp spiders in an area near me that has been developed over recent years.  The striking beauties have taken up residence on the edge of a newly built estate close to a stream.  I was shocked to see how quickly one female wrapped and immobilized a grass hopper..  They're magnificent!

Have anyone else here seen them in Devon.. Particularly East Devon?

Thanks..

link
Thu 17th September 2015 17:42 by Niall Coogan
ID please
Hello,

I have pictures on my profile I would like an ID for if poss...?

We have this living in our back porch and want to know whether it could potentially be a danger to children playing in that area.

Many Thanks...

link
Wed 16th September 2015 19:25 by Peter Harvey
This is Pisaura mirabilis, the 'nursery web spider'. It will be juvenile at this time of year.
link
Wed 16th September 2015 15:58 by Stephanie Coates
Spider on Ystrad fawr
Ystrad Fawr Nature Reserve SN794103 I uploaded a picture does anyone know what it is , recorded on 10/09/2015 in south wales
link

Archives: Jul 2017 Jun 2017 May 2017 Apr 2017 Mar 2017 Feb 2017 Dec 2016 Oct 2016 Sep 2016 Aug 2016 Jul 2016 Jun 2016 May 2016 Apr 2016 Mar 2016 Feb 2016 Jan 2016 Dec 2015 Nov 2015 Oct 2015 Sep 2015 Aug 2015 Jul 2015 Jun 2015 May 2015 Apr 2015 Mar 2015 Feb 2015 Dec 2014 Nov 2014 Oct 2014 Sep 2014 Aug 2014 Jul 2014 Jun 2014 May 2014 Apr 2014 Mar 2014 Feb 2014 Jan 2014 Dec 2013 Nov 2013 Oct 2013 Sep 2013 Aug 2013 Jul 2013 Jun 2013 May 2013 Apr 2013 Feb 2013 Jan 2013 Dec 2012 Nov 2012 Oct 2012 Sep 2012 Aug 2012 Jul 2012 Jun 2012 May 2012 Feb 2012 Jan 2012 Dec 2011 Nov 2011 Oct 2011 Aug 2011 May 2011 Mar 2011 Dec 2010 Nov 2010 Sep 2010 latest posts