Forum

Welcome to our general Forum page.  Please feel free to post a comment on any issue or topic area. If you upload a picture, it will be available for you to insert here with your post. IF YOU WANT HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE PROVIDE A FULL POSTCODE OR GRID REFERENCE AND DATE of the record so that it can be added to the recording scheme. You will need to register and be logged-on to post to the forum. Find out more

Sat 30th July 2016 15:02 by Peter Harvey
Re: Spider found in meadow at Chiltern Open Air Museum
This is almost certainly an adult male Agelena labyrinthica, investigating the web of the larger female. Can you please provide the date for the photo.
link
Sat 30th July 2016 10:18 by Alan Adkins
REPOST - Spider found in meadow at Chiltern Open Air Museum
Reposted to add date (18th July 2016), thanks for the id. Is this sometimes referred to as a Labyrinth spider?

Hello, I am new to this forum so apologies if this isn't the correct place to ask for id help. I just uploaded a picture with the same title as this post and would be grateful for any assistance in identification.

Many thanks. Alan

link
Fri 29th July 2016 19:27 by Tadas Kaminskas
Can't be a mosquito or any other flying insect as my flat has this micro ventilation in all windows. I have never seen a fly or mosquito in my flat. Also I have been bit by mosquitoes and horseflies and such many times as I grew up in the country. Their bites I'm well familiar with. But I have seen a spider in my flat a couple of times that's why I assumed it must be a spider or some kind of creature that travels on legs. But never mind. I thought maybe there was a known spider that does that and was interested to find out. I cleared out my bedroom completely until there was only the bed and wardrobe left and checked everywhere but no luck. I guess the culprit will remain a mystery.
link
Fri 29th July 2016 17:20 by Peter Harvey
These are not spider bites, almost certainly mosquito bites or similar insect. Whatever the cause, stratching is liable to cause bacterial infection and you should obtain medical advice if the appearance does not improve.
link
Fri 29th July 2016 16:11 by Tadas Kaminskas
Multiple spider bites
Hi everyone, wanted to ask you for help identifying what has been biting me. This is the only spider website I could find. In the last 10 days I have been bitten 4 times on my left leg while sleeping. About 2-3 days between each bite. The first bite was on the shin, the usual hardened lump that's a bit hot and itchy. Had it before, no worries. A few days later another bite on the ankle. Again I wasn't worried, it left the same mark as other bite higher up. A few days later a third bite close to the second one on the ankle. The same kind of mark. Annoying but not the end of the world. Now last night I got the forth bite, again on the ankle close to the second and third bites. While sleeping I remember scratching it as it felt itchy and when I woke up there was yellow puss coming out of the bites #2 and #3. And the whole area is swollen and firm and warm. I think one bites is okay or even multiple bites in different locations. But it seems that 3 bites in one place was just too much for the ankle. It's now been over 10 hours and the puss still keeps running. I'm not that worried about the bites, it will probably be okay in a few days. Though I am a bit worried about that spider coming back and biting me again a few more times... Any idea what spider could do this? It must be quite cleaver to keep coming back like this and biting me in the same place. Is my leg going to liquefy if it keeps biting me?

This is how it looked just earlier:

Spider bites Copyright: Tadas Kaminskas

This is how it looks now after I washed it:

Spider Bite Marks Copyright: Tadas Kaminskas

link
Wed 27th July 2016 20:16 by Ian Young
Stripey-legged spider in the hall
Looks like a big money spider to me (well, big for Linyphiidae). Head and body about 3mm long; about 15mm overall. Found near the ceiling in my hall (Birmingham SP036846 2016-07-23).

Stripey-legged spider in the hall 2 detail Copyright: Ian Young Stripey-legged spider in the hall 2 Copyright: Ian Young Stripey-legged spider in the hall 1 Copyright: Ian Young

link
Wed 27th July 2016 15:14 by Rob Emery
Update on Identification please.
Apologies, the spider was found on the 23rd of July in Camborne TR14, Cornwall
link
Sat 23rd July 2016 20:48 by Rob Emery
Identification please
Spider in CORNWALL Copyright: Rob Emery
link
Sat 23rd July 2016 09:02 by G Hogben
Hogben's False Widows
Found a False Widow spider in Birchington indoor swimming pool, found two in my house in Westbrook, Margate, CT9 5DW in Kent, one was in my conservatory - the one in my photo - but the worse thing - we were turning our mattress in our bedroom and a false widow spider (recognised from markings on abdomen) was actually on top of the bed support and under the mattress!  They may not mean any harm, but I don't want one in bed with me! we removed it without harm, I wouldn't hurt a spider, just don't want them too near me in bed!

Gill

link
Fri 22nd July 2016 09:42 by Gregory Mills
ID please
Hi there, could someone help with identification of this spider please? Found in our bathroom sink this morning, in Canterbury Kent CT28NX. What is it Copyright: Gregory Mills
link
Wed 20th July 2016 13:50 by Les McPherson
With all the recent hot weather we just have opened our sliding patio window for the first time this year only to disturb a spider that we have not seen before. It was shiny, black with a bulbous abdomen, about 12mm from nose to tail. As far as I could tell there were no markings. Researching the BAS website it matches the description of a Cupboard Spider (Steatoda grossa). Unfortunately it had scuttled away before I could lay my hands on a camera. If I am right in my identification, is this a common species, and should I treat it with respect if I encounter it again ? Les in Fleet, Hampshire
link
Tue 19th July 2016 17:14 by Peter Harvey
Re: Can I get an identification please
This looks like Steatoda nobilis, the so-called 'noble false widow', the spider which the media make such an unjustified fuss about. It has been frequent in the southern coastal counties of England for a great many years, without causing any problems. It is nowadays frequent in many areas of southern England. The media frenzy caused by this spider is unwarranted. There are a number of other 'false widows' in Britain, some which are native or have been in the country for centuries, so there is a lot of misinformation about these spiders. Steatoda nobilis spiders are unobtrusive, have no interest in attacking humans and would only bite if they were put into a position where they do so as a defensive reaction. Honey bees and social wasps pose a far greater risk.
link
Mon 18th July 2016 21:56 by Nick Osborne
Can I get an identification please
I found this spider on the warm bricks outside my house today, never seen one like this before. Can you please help identify it for me, thank you.

Spider on warm brick Copyright: Nick Osborne

link
Thu 14th July 2016 17:19 by Peter Harvey
Re: Identification Requested
The photo shows a theridiid spider, but further identification would require an adult under a microscope,
link
Thu 14th July 2016 15:33 by Andrew Padley
Noble False Widow
Here is a picture of a steatoda nobilis shot this afternoon (July 14th 2016) in Brighton (BN3 6BJ). The camera was a Microsoft Lumia 950XL set on automatic (20MP). The image is cropped.

The spider was found behind a gatepost.

Noble False Widow Copyright: Andrew Padley

link
Thu 14th July 2016 10:53 by Darryl Leckenby
Identification Requested
I would like to confirm the identification of this spider I found in my home this morning. I live in Stamford Bridge, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO41 1AE. July 13 2016.

Unknown spider requiring identification Copyright: Darryl Leckenby

link
Tue 5th July 2016 09:40 by Peter Harvey
Re: ?False Widow
This looks like Steatoda nobilis, the so-called 'noble false widow', the spider which the media make such an unjustified fuss about. It has been frequent in the southern coastal counties of England for a great many years, without causing any problems. It is nowadays frequent in many areas of southern England (see summary page). The media frenzy caused by this spider is unwarranted. There are a number of other 'false widows' in Britain, some which are native or have been in the country for centuries, so there is a lot of misinformation about these spiders. Steatoda nobilis spiders are unobtrusive, have no interest in attacking humans and would only bite if they were put into a position where they do so as a defensive reaction. Honey bees and social wasps pose a far greater risk.
link
Tue 5th July 2016 09:25 by Philip Hinson
?False Widow
Hi, Could anyone identify this spider as a Steatoda grossa or nobilis, found this morning on my bin in lowestoft suffolk NR338WL, thanks Phil

False Widow Lowestoft Copyright: Philip Hinson

link
Sun 3rd July 2016 07:37 by Peter Harvey
Re: Sitticus rupicola possibly 1,2
Your spider is a juvenile Ballus chalybeius, a jumping spider of shrubs and trees. Sitticus inexpectus (old records in this country were as S. rupicola) is a scarce spider of coastal shingle.
link
Sat 2nd July 2016 23:56 by Karen Humpage
Sitticus rupicola possibly 1,2
I found this spider in my kitchen today. Nearest match I could get in my spider book is Sitticus rupicola but apparently they are pretty rare so I'm not sure. It's 4-5mm long, a much smaller head than abdomen, and front legs held out stiffly - at first glance I thought it was a beetle. Help with positive ID would be much appreciated. Location Romford Essex RM6 5UB
link

Archives: Jul 2017 Jun 2017 May 2017 Apr 2017 Mar 2017 Feb 2017 Dec 2016 Oct 2016 Sep 2016 Aug 2016 Jul 2016 Jun 2016 May 2016 Apr 2016 Mar 2016 Feb 2016 Jan 2016 Dec 2015 Nov 2015 Oct 2015 Sep 2015 Aug 2015 Jul 2015 Jun 2015 May 2015 Apr 2015 Mar 2015 Feb 2015 Dec 2014 Nov 2014 Oct 2014 Sep 2014 Aug 2014 Jul 2014 Jun 2014 May 2014 Apr 2014 Mar 2014 Feb 2014 Jan 2014 Dec 2013 Nov 2013 Oct 2013 Sep 2013 Aug 2013 Jul 2013 Jun 2013 May 2013 Apr 2013 Feb 2013 Jan 2013 Dec 2012 Nov 2012 Oct 2012 Sep 2012 Aug 2012 Jul 2012 Jun 2012 May 2012 Feb 2012 Jan 2012 Dec 2011 Nov 2011 Oct 2011 Aug 2011 May 2011 Mar 2011 Dec 2010 Nov 2010 Sep 2010 latest posts