Forum

Welcome to our general Forum page.  Please feel free to post a comment on any issue or topic area. If you upload a picture, it will be available for you to insert here with your post. IF YOU WANT HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE PROVIDE A FULL POSTCODE OR GRID REFERENCE AND DATE of the record in your post so that it can be added to the recording scheme. You will need to register and be logged-on to post to the forum. Find out more

Sat 30th September 2017 21:42 by Sheila Hamilton-Dyer
Synageles venator NEW RECORD?
Hi, just registered here, not a professional (for spiders I mean).  I have noted that Synageles ant spider seems little recorded (size + behaviour?) and that while distribution says coast and dunes there is a huge chunk of the south missing and also no mention of URBAN records.  Unless there is something really, really similar, we have it here in SOUTHAMPTON in the garden so15 5ef and on the allotment so16 4qp.  Today we had one of these little chaps in the kitchen pretending to be an ant (almost swept it away!). Photos aren't great but fairly clear. Synageles in Southampton kitchen 1 Copyright: Sheila Hamilton-Dyer Synageles in Southampton kitchen 2 Copyright: Sheila Hamilton-Dyer
link
Sat 30th September 2017 21:39 by Sheila Hamilton-Dyer
Synageles venator NEW RECORD?
Hi, just registered here, not a professional (for spiders I mean).  I have noted that Synageles ant spider seems little recorded (size + behaviour?) and that while distribution says coast and dunes there is a huge chunk of the south missing and also no mention of URBAN records.  Unless there is something really, really similar, we have it here in SOUTHAMPTON in the garden so15 5ef and on the allotment so16 4qp.  Today we had one of these little chaps in the kitchen pretending to be an ant (almost swept it away!). Photos aren't great but fairly clear. Not sure if I have uploaded to the right place - don't seem to have attachment here so uploaded as standard.
link
Sat 30th September 2017 14:28 by Matthew Prowse
Many thanks, Peter. Striking markings.
link
Sat 30th September 2017 13:43 by Peter Harvey
Definitely a juvenile Metellina species
link
Sat 30th September 2017 13:23 by Matthew Prowse
Re: Request for ID
Thanks, yes not a great image. I've taken again.

Request for ID - better pic Copyright: Matthew Prowse

link
Sat 30th September 2017 12:18 by Peter Harvey
Re: Request for ID
Difficult to be sure of much from the photo, but most likely juvenile Metellina (species with a very variable pattern), although could possibly be juvenile Zygiella x-notata, a common orb web spider of houses and gardens. Certainly not Steatoda (so called false widow') species.
link
Sat 30th September 2017 09:35 by Matthew Prowse
Request for ID
Found in my garage, 29 September 2017 KY15 7EL.

Head and abdomen approx. 7mm, legs black/brown, body black/white. I see some resemblance to Steatoda nobilis but I'm uncertain and would appreciate assistance.

Request for ID Copyright: Matthew Prowse

link
Fri 29th September 2017 16:28 by Mike Hetherington
Re: Query Spider ID - Metellina
Thanks for the response Peter - very helpful.

By the way, I did include the date of sighting and a grid reference (admittedly 4 figure only) with my record.

link
Fri 29th September 2017 12:12 by Peter Harvey
Re: Query Spider ID - Metellina
Yes, Metellina, but not an adult. The bag-like palps which seem to be visible suggest a subadult or juvenile male. You cannot get to species with Metellina unless adult, and females will always require microscipical examination. In any future posts, if you want help with identification please note the statement above the post form, IF YOU WANT HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE PROVIDE A FULL POSTCODE OR GRID REFERENCE AND DATE of the record in the post so that it can be added to the recording scheme.
link
Thu 28th September 2017 22:19 by Mike Hetherington
Query Spider ID - Metellina
I'm just starting to get to grips with my local spiders, and would welcome ID advice about this species.  My best guess is Metellina sp, but I'm not really sure.  The photo was taken in West Dorset on 2.4.17, on a garage door at the bottom of a garden.

Unidentified Spider - query Metellina Copyright: Mike Hetherington

link
Tue 26th September 2017 08:49 by Peter Harvey
link
Mon 25th September 2017 18:40 by Austin Largan
Strange spider
From Austin Largan

thanks for I.D.-ing my Harvestman.....when is a spider not a spider? When he is a harvestman. I will have to take more interest in these creatures, especially as my old stone cottage is literally infested with them......big ones, small ones, some as big as your head....

Thanks again.

link
Sun 24th September 2017 19:08 by Peter Harvey
Re: Who is this?
This is the harvestman Dicranopalpus ramosus. It was first recorded in the UK in 1957 in Bournemouth.  Since then it has spread steadily northwards, and continues to do so.  It reached Scotland in 2000, see http://srs.britishspiders.org.uk/portal.php/p/Fork-palped+harvestman

You can add a photo to your post by clicking on the photo icon which will be in our post after you have uploaded the photo.

link
Sun 24th September 2017 19:07 by Peter Harvey
Re: is this Thick Jawed Orb Weaver
Actually looking again at your photo (which does not show allow the top of the abdomen to be seen) this could be the Linyphia triangularis, common in gardens in late summer and autumn.
link
Sun 24th September 2017 19:06 by Peter Harvey
Re: Is this Steatoda nobilis?
No, this is Amaurobius similis, a common spider of walls, fences etc on or near buildings. It is harmless to humans. It is not a so-called false widow spider. It will not be responsible for any bite.

You can add a photo to your post by clicking on the photo icon which will be in our post after you have uploaded the photo.

link
Sun 24th September 2017 13:35 by Austin Largan
Who is this?
Can anyone identify this little fellow? He was sitting on a sunflower in my garden and I have never seen a spider like this one before.

I do not know how to add a better photo, sorry, I'm new to this and getting confused, but a full size photo is available under "My Stuff". Can anyone tell me how to add a photo please? Thanks.

North Wales, CH74NZ, in the countryside surrounded by farm land.

link
Sun 24th September 2017 13:28 by Keith Gallie
is this Thick Jawed Orb Weaver
this spider was in amongs nettles i didnt get a chance to see it from the top so ID is hard for me the nearest i could find is thick jawed orb weaver Pachygnatha clerckiis this thick Jawed orb weaver Copyright: Keith Galliefound in warrington Cheshire
link
Sat 23rd September 2017 14:09 by Douglas MacDonald
Is this Steatoda nobilis?
My wife took an exceptionally painful sting/bite today while hanging out the washing. she didn't see the culprit but not, I think, a wasp. I found a spider - picture posted on the site under the heading 'Is this Steatoda nobilis?' Is it a noble false widow? There was a web on a window that looked about right. We live in Edinburgh.
link
Thu 14th September 2017 18:44 by Peter Harvey
This is Zygiella x-notata, a common orb web spider of buildings, walls, fences, gardens etc, completely harmless to humans.
link
Thu 14th September 2017 16:58 by Matt Hunt
Can you identify?

Photo taken on 14/09/2017. HP13 6BQ

Thank you.

link
Wed 13th September 2017 10:51 by Peter Harvey
Re: L rotundum
All spider and harvestman records received by the SRS and HRS in easily usable form are shown on the maps. Many thanks for the record details.
link
Wed 13th September 2017 10:48 by Peter Harvey
Yes, this is Nuctenea umbratica, see Walnut Orb-Weaver Spider and summary page
link
Tue 12th September 2017 23:38 by Richard Whitson
What spider is this please
Found this small spider today maybe 6mm long head + body

Looks brownish/cream in the photos but looked more blackish/cream in real life.

No sign of web: found on wooden facings of a nature hide. hopefully details are attached to the photo.

Only one I could find close was a False Widow spider but this was a small chap.

Didn't have my macro lens with me so pics not as good as they might have been: hopefully still enough to aid ID.

Thanks in anticipation !

UPDATE: 13/9/17 actually I think one of my friends ID's it as a Walnut Orbweb Spider (Nuctenea umbratica)

link
Tue 12th September 2017 19:23 by Lee Johnson
L rotundum
L rotundum Copyright: Lee Johnson I found several L rotundum including this male today(12/09/2017) in Stromness, Orkney HY259098. I can't find any local records for it. Does the harvestman recording scheme have Orkney records for this species? Many thanks Lee Johnson
link
Thu 7th September 2017 15:33 by Chris Rule
what spider is this please?
Hi,

I found this spider in my bag of shopping with all my fruit, is this as foreign spider or is it quite safe? not sure what to do with it really.

many thanks.

spider found in shopping Copyright: Chris Rule

link
Wed 6th September 2017 20:01 by Andy Roberts
spider indentification
Apologies for the not great quality photos. This spider was in my garage around a month ago. It had a funnel shaped web. We now have two smaller spiders on either side of our conservatory which have exactly the same markings on their backs. Is anyone able to identify? It has a shiny circular body with yellow markings.

Unknown Spider ID North Wales1 Copyright: Andy Roberts Unknown Spider ID North Wales Copyright: Andy Roberts

We had our garage roof replaced around a year ago and the two guys replacing it said they had found and caught a false widow. How much they knew about spiders I cannot comment. I didn't see it so cannot confirm what it looked like. I live in North Wales, LL19 post code which looks to be quite far north for this type of spider.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

link
Tue 5th September 2017 18:34 by Peter Harvey
This looks like Steatoda nobilis, the so-called 'noble false widow', the spider which the media make such an unjustified fuss about. It has been frequent in the southern coastal counties of England for a great many years, and is nowadays frequent and abundant in many areas of southern England, including the south coast, south-west, south-east, London area and East Anglia, and increasingly much further north. The media frenzy caused by this spider is unwarranted. Steatoda nobilis spiders are unobtrusive, have no interest in attacking humans and would only bite if they were put into a position where they do so as a defensive reaction. Honey bees and social wasps pose a far greater risk. There are a number of other 'false widows' in Britain, some which are native or have been in the country for centuries, so there is a lot of misinformation about these spiders.
link
Sun 3rd September 2017 23:32 by Keith Edkins
False Widow
Hi, I believe this is a False Widow Steatoda sp., is it possible to tell the species from the photo? Found inside the lid of a green (composting) wheelie bin, Cambridge TL462583, 2 September 2017.

Steatoda sp. Copyright: Keith Edkins

link

Archives: Nov 2017 Oct 2017 Sep 2017 Aug 2017 Jul 2017 Jun 2017 May 2017 Apr 2017 Mar 2017 Feb 2017 Dec 2016 Oct 2016 Sep 2016 Aug 2016 Jul 2016 Jun 2016 May 2016 Apr 2016 Mar 2016 Feb 2016 Jan 2016 Dec 2015 Nov 2015 Oct 2015 Sep 2015 Aug 2015 Jul 2015 Jun 2015 May 2015 Apr 2015 Mar 2015 Feb 2015 Dec 2014 Nov 2014 Oct 2014 Sep 2014 Aug 2014 Jul 2014 Jun 2014 May 2014 Apr 2014 Mar 2014 Feb 2014 Jan 2014 Dec 2013 Nov 2013 Oct 2013 Sep 2013 Aug 2013 Jul 2013 Jun 2013 May 2013 Apr 2013 Feb 2013 Jan 2013 Dec 2012 Nov 2012 Oct 2012 Sep 2012 Aug 2012 Jul 2012 Jun 2012 May 2012 Feb 2012 Jan 2012 Dec 2011 Nov 2011 Oct 2011 Aug 2011 May 2011 Mar 2011 Dec 2010 Nov 2010 Sep 2010 latest posts