Forum

Welcome to our general Forum page.  Please feel free to post a comment on any issue or topic area. If you upload a picture, it will be available for you to insert here with your post. You can send a message or ask a question about British spider identification here. If your query is about spiders from other parts of the World, please find another forum, we are unable to help. You will need to register and be logged-on to post to the forum. Find out more and Help adding forum posts. You will find some helper toolbar buttons in the add post and post editor, as well as your most recently uploaded pictures as toolbar buttons. Click on the toolbar picture to add it to your post. IF YOU WANT HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE PROVIDE A FULL POSTCODE OR GRID REFERENCE AND DATE of the record in your post so that it can be added to the recording scheme.

Sat 30th May 2020 10:52 by Peter Harvey
Re: Is this Araniella proxima?
Araniella proxima does not occur in Britain. This is certainly an adult male Araniella orb web spider, but there are 5 variable species found in Britain, which cannot be identified to species without careful examination of adult female epigyne or male palp structure under a microscope. Yours is almost certainly either Araniella cucurbitina or A. opisthographa.
link
Sat 30th May 2020 10:29 by Ali Gascoyne
Is this Araniella proxima? PE9 1UL 30.05.20
Just watched this spider wander across my table and hadn't seen one before. Moved too quickly for decent pictures from the rear! Is it perhaps Araniella proxima? Araniella Copyright: Ali Gascoyne
link
Thu 28th May 2020 22:25 by Emma Mortiboy
Steatoda nobilis and house spiders GL52 6RG
Steadtoda nobilis Glos Copyright: Emma MortiboyThe false widow has been in our garage for over a year. The two house spiders appeared today and seem to be trying to usurp the widow. One house spider patrols the web And agitates the widow who reacts by broadening her shape but not moving. The other house spider is not moving and staying close to the widow. I wondered whether this was normal behaviour? Can these two species mutually share a web, or will one species perish in the fight for the prime spot (it is a prime spot for flies and wasps!) do you think? Thanks!False widow and house spiders Copyright: Emma Mortiboy
link
Tue 26th May 2020 09:30 by Peter Harvey
re: ID help Tolpuddle 2
As far as can be seen from the photo this is likely to be an adult male Philodromus dispar, one of the few a 'running crab spiders' which can be identified to species from photographs.
link
Tue 26th May 2020 09:27 by Peter Harvey
re: ID help Tolpuddle
This is one of the house spiders Tegenaria / Eratigena species. They can't be identified to species without examination under a microscope, but they are harmless and occur in most buildings in the country.
link
Tue 26th May 2020 07:47 by Louisa Wightmoor
ID help Tolpuddle 2
Found this morning in our kitchen, DT2 7ES.

DT27ES003 Copyright: Louisa Wightmoor

link
Mon 25th May 2020 18:13 by Louisa Wightmoor
ID help Tolpuddle
Hi there, I've just found this website but have been interested in spiders for a while. There are so many around where I live in Dorset, I thought I'd start finding out more about them. Please see an image of one we found today in a wood bin store, DT2 7ES. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks, Louisa DT27ES Copyright: Louisa Wightmoor
link
Sat 23rd May 2020 14:25 by Peter Harvey
Yes this looks like Steatoda nobilis, the so-called 'noble false widow', the spider which the media make such an unjustified fuss about. It has been frequent in the southern coastal counties of England for a great many years, and is nowadays frequent and abundant in many areas of southern England and Wales, including the south coast, south-west, south-east, London area and East Anglia, and increasingly much further north. The media frenzy caused by this spider is unwarranted. Steatoda nobilis spiders are unobtrusive, have no interest in attacking humans and would only bite if they were put into a position where they do so as a defensive reaction. They are no greater risk than honey bees and social wasps. There are a number of other 'false widows' in Britain, some which are native or have been in the country for centuries, so there is a lot of misinformation about these spiders.
link
Sat 23rd May 2020 12:44 by Elaine Fowler
Steatoda Nobilis Henley on Thames
Hello.  I have been awaiting the arrival of Steatoda Nobilis in my garden in Henley on Thames for some years.  My house is 'infested' with Steatoda Grossa and I have a lot of Steatoda Bipunctata in the dog kennels outside.  Today I have found my first ever Steatoda Nobilis in my garden, grid reference SU 77584 79410.  I am quite confident in my identification but thought I would check on here.  Interestingly, last night I found a Steatoda specimen in my kitchen that I could not identify, perhaps it was a variation of Nobilis but I let it go without photographing it.  Kind Regards.  Steatoda Nobilis Henley on Thames Copyright: Elaine Fowler
link
Thu 21st May 2020 15:22 by Peter Harvey
Where are you trying to upload info and a picture about a spider? If you are logged-on, there is an Picture upload link which allows pictures to be uploaded according to the picture upload guidelines (2Mb maximum filesize, title characters not allowed etc). You do not have access to modify pages, but can upload photos for a species (if you are positive about its identification) from a speces Summary page. Anything else about info and photos can be submitted via this forum page or via the Contact us link
link
Wed 20th May 2020 21:48 by Karen Dyce
Trouble submitting info
Hi I just joined tonight and I’ve been trying to upload info about a spider I found. The page won’t let me add a pic so I tried adding the info without the pic and it still won’t let me submit info! Very frustrating!
link
Mon 18th May 2020 14:27 by Peter Harvey
Re: Unidentified green spider
This is a Tetragnatha orb web spider, probably Tetragnatha extensa one of a number of closely similar species. Tetragnatha extensa is probably the most widespread and is often found in damper places.
link
Sun 17th May 2020 23:27 by Kerry Hughes
Thank you so much for the help Peter!
link
Sun 17th May 2020 20:31 by Mark Thackstone
Unidentified green spider
Hi, Very new to spiders and couldn’t find this in Collins field guide...

GR. TL 558 474 17 May 2020

Thanks

Mark

GreenSpider2020 Copyright: Mark Thackstone

link
Sun 17th May 2020 16:30 by Peter Harvey
This is a Heliophanus jumping spider, either H. flavipes or cupreus, both of which are quite variable in appearance. They need microscopical exmaination for defintive identification top species.
link
Sun 17th May 2020 14:45 by Kerry Hughes
Identification Help
phidippus audax Copyright: Kerry Hughes

Hello, This little spider jumped onto my knee and quickly jumped back off after the picture. The pale yellow parts were actually iridescent green in person, which is what made me curious. I believe it is a phidippus audax, however I can't find information about them being in the UK, so wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help.

link
Sun 17th May 2020 09:36 by Trevor Richardson
Unknown to me Copyright: Trevor Richardson

Hi Please can someone identify this spider for me, thanks

link
Fri 15th May 2020 08:38 by Peter Harvey
It is a large jumping spider. Body length (not legs) of adult females is quoted to be in range 8-10mn, but gravid and well-fed females can be larger, adult males slightly smaller. Spiders rarely read the books though.
link
Thu 14th May 2020 19:16 by Julia Tantram
To Peter Harvey Re: Query regarding a large jumping spider...
Hi Peter,

Many thanks for the identification.  I confirm she was found on Friday 8th May at our postcode, sitting on a plastic pot in the garden (looking rather conspicuous as the pot is white).

Is there any information available about the size this species usually reaches?

link
Thu 14th May 2020 09:11 by Peter Harvey
Re: Query regarding a large jumping spider...
This is Marpissa muscosa, a spider which occurs mostly on old tree trunks, on paling fences and the like, where its coloration provides excellent camouflage and slightly flattened body allows the spider to hide under loose bark. Can you confirm please the date of your record of this spider and that it was found at the postcode on the photos.
link
Tue 12th May 2020 19:01 by Alan Holmes
Crowthorne Woods: fen spiders
Thank you for your identifications and the warning about the other species. I try to enter the record of the Fen spider.
link
Tue 12th May 2020 17:09 by Pauline Schofield
Unknown black spider
Unknown black spider Copyright: Pauline Schofield I came across this black spider in my utility room which opens on to my garden in Harrow, North West London, HA2 7JJ. Looked jet black to me, very bulbous abdomen , about 5 cms long overall. Get lots of spiders in my house and garden but have not seen this one before. Grateful for identification. Thank you.
link
Tue 12th May 2020 13:11 by Julia Tantram
Query regarding a large jumping spider...
Hi,

Please can you kindly confirm the identity of this jumping spider and whether she? is an unusually large size?

The 'measurement' shot is taken on my phone, the others obviously not!

Many thanks in advance, Julia

Measuring Portia Copyright: Julia Tantram

Portia 1 Copyright: Julia Tantram

Portia 2 Copyright: Julia Tantram

Portia 3 Copyright: Julia Tantram

link
Mon 11th May 2020 19:28 by Peter Harvey
The second photo shows a Pirata lycosid species, not Dolomedes. The first certainly shows Dolomedes fimbriatus, but you cannot be sure this is adult unless you can see a fully formed adult female epigyne on the underneath of the adomen, which even in this large species would require a high quality lens or microscopical examination. If logged-in, you can edit the title of your photo. Incidentally iRecord data does not normally come to the recording scheme, since it would be a vast amount of work to verify all the records involved, which for many of the 670+ species of British spiders would require verification of voucher specimens by Area Organisers. The scheme works through Area Organisers, whose role includes verification and helping spider recorders in their county/s or region.
link
Mon 11th May 2020 14:10 by Alan Holmes
Crowthorne Woods: fen spiders
Here are two pictures:

2020 Feb 23 Crowthorne South fen spider Copyright: Alan Holmes

Both taken in a heathland pond, with sphagnum. ( pond to N E of site- I have mistakenly said S on photo file name.) The first, in Feb, is clearly an adult, but is the seconds in May, a juvenile? It was walking on the surface and seemed to be using its feet to sense vibration on the surface. Easy to miss them, but was out looking for dragonflies, which involves a lot of looking round pond edges and only found them on this one pond, where I think they have been seen before. SU85336503

I assume I enter the record separately once ID confirmed and I delete the first record from IRecord to avoid duplication. Is that correct procedure?

Thank you in advance

link
Sun 10th May 2020 12:51 by Sue Wilson
Steatoda nobilis ?
Steatoda nobilis Peterborough Copyright: Sue Wilson Found in Peterborough on a wooden slat
link
Wed 6th May 2020 11:22 by Dave Pearson
Harvestman in Bathroom
Harvestman in Bathroom Copyright: Dave PearsonHi,

I found this harvestman in my bathroom on Friday 1st May. It appears to have a two-tone abdomen; something I have not come across before. Can anyone suggest an identification?

Thanks,

Dave Winchester UK

link
Mon 4th May 2020 09:10 by Peter Harvey
This certainly looks to be one of the cave spiders Meta species, although they usually don't have the pattern of markings shown on the abdomen in your photo. Microscopical examination of adults is needed for certain identification to species though since the appearance of the species and legs are variable, and the most likely is M. menardi.
link
Sun 3rd May 2020 11:15 by Perran Delbridge
Help with identification
Unidentified Found in old water tank Copyright: Perran Delbridge

Found in an old water tank in a dark, damp unused part of our garden in West Cornwall (TR13 0NB) on 02/05/2020. Body ranging from 5-10mm and size including legs is approximately 30mm. We think it could be Meta Bourneti but any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thank you,

Perran (9 years old) and parents.

Unidentified Found in old water tank Copyright: Perran Delbridge

link
Sat 2nd May 2020 19:41 by Peter Harvey
This will certainly be Pseudeuophrys lanigera From your photo the spider appears to a subadult male, where the palps do not yet have their adult structure. This means they will not have the same appearance. Yes, added to the database.
link
Sat 2nd May 2020 17:47 by Julian Birkhead
Pseudeuorphrys lanigera or erratica?
HI, I found this spider on 5-04-20 under the hasp of a garden shed door in Halifax, West Yorkshire SE 07743 27510.

I didn't catch it to inspect it more closely. At first I thought it must be a lanigera because of the habitat - I had been mending the shed roof - but the palps are as described in the BAS field guide for erratica: light femur and patella but darker at the tip.

The carapace and abdomen markings seem inconclusive.

A Pseudeuorphrys Copyright: Julian Birkhead

A Pseudeuorphrys front view Copyright: Julian Birkhead

Can anyone help?

- Thanks for the response, Peter. Hope it will be added to the records.

link
Sat 2nd May 2020 17:42 by Tone Killick
Early adult records for male and female Pisaura mirabilis.
link
Sat 2nd May 2020 00:56 by Catrin Arthur
Thanks!
link
Fri 1st May 2020 11:54 by Peter Harvey
This is an Araniella orb web spider, but there are 5 variable species found in Britain, which cannot be identified to species without examination of adults under a microscope. Yours is probably Araniella cucurbitina or A. opisthographa. They are harmless to humans.
link
Fri 1st May 2020 11:32 by Catrin Arthur
What is this green spider?
Bright green spider found in a plum tree.  I have never seen one before but then again I've never spent as much time in my garden as I have during the last 6 weeks!! Green spider 26-04-20 Copyright: SY23 3QQ
link

Archives: Aug 2020 Jul 2020 Jun 2020 May 2020 Apr 2020 Mar 2020 Feb 2020 Jan 2020 Dec 2019 Nov 2019 Oct 2019 Sep 2019 Aug 2019 Jul 2019 Jun 2019 May 2019 Apr 2019 Mar 2019 Feb 2019 Jan 2019 Dec 2018 Nov 2018 Oct 2018 Sep 2018 Aug 2018 Jul 2018 Jun 2018 May 2018 Apr 2018 Mar 2018 Feb 2018 Jan 2018 Nov 2017 Oct 2017 Sep 2017 Aug 2017 Jul 2017 Jun 2017 May 2017 Apr 2017 Mar 2017 Feb 2017 Dec 2016 Oct 2016 Sep 2016 Aug 2016 Jul 2016 Jun 2016 May 2016 Apr 2016 Mar 2016 Feb 2016 Jan 2016 Dec 2015 Nov 2015 Oct 2015 Sep 2015 Aug 2015 Jul 2015 Jun 2015 May 2015 Apr 2015 Mar 2015 Feb 2015 Dec 2014 Nov 2014 Oct 2014 Sep 2014 Aug 2014 Jul 2014 Jun 2014 May 2014 Apr 2014 Mar 2014 Feb 2014 Jan 2014 Dec 2013 Nov 2013 Oct 2013 Sep 2013 Aug 2013 Jul 2013 Jun 2013 May 2013 Apr 2013 Feb 2013 Jan 2013 Dec 2012 Nov 2012 Oct 2012 Sep 2012 Aug 2012 Jul 2012 Jun 2012 May 2012 Feb 2012 Jan 2012 Dec 2011 Nov 2011 Oct 2011 Aug 2011 May 2011 Mar 2011 Dec 2010 Nov 2010 Sep 2010 latest posts